Saturday, August 20, 2011

Happiness



I remember back in the 70's there was a book called "Happiness is a Warm Puppy," written by Charles M. Schultz. On the cover was a picture of Lucy, squeezing the life out of a hapless Snoopy. The pages were filled with cute illustrations of Peanuts characters and short heartwarming definitions of "happiness," such as finding the right puzzle piece, etc. A nice little booklet.

Today I feel happy. I am really thankful for that. As I type away here it is twilight, a very pleasant summer evening, filled with the sound of cicadas buzzing and the smells of fresh air and orange tea. My husband is upstairs giving the kids their baths, after having spent the day together as a family, just poking around the house. There were minor projects accomplished, the workroom finally got straightened out, some weeding was done, laundry put away. There was also fun with the kids, playing games and watching them attempt to master the pogo-stick and roller blades. Altogether enjoyable.

I have been spending more time with God lately. I am so busy with new opportunities He has given me, which I know I cannot handle, that I have been driven to my knees early in the morning pretty much each day. And so I am blessed, content, in a really good place. Recently I told the Lord that I just needed peace, but also mentioned I was kind of bummed I really hadn't felt joy for a long while. I was actually thinking at the time I might never feel it again...Wrong. :)

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.--James 1:17.

No comments:

Post a Comment