Thursday, October 25, 2012

Perish the Thought



In our Bible study last night we were reading in 1 Peter 1 that as Christians we are to "prepare our minds for action" or, as the King James puts it, to "gird up the loins" of our minds; and that we are to be "self-controlled," or "sober" in the KJV.  So we were discussing what that means and how we need to take control of our thoughts.  Paul also mentions this in 2 Cor. 5 when he tells us to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

On another tack, I was just pondering the other night, why are gems and certain metals so valuable?  I have wondered that many times, why is gold considered precious? But then it finally dawned on me (I know I am slow) that these things are practically imperishable. They pretty much won't rust or mold or burn up. Their value is perhaps not only in their outer beauty, as I had suspected but not understood. Their worth is greatly magnified by their inner stability, their near incorruptibility, at least compared to most other things on this earth.

Back to 1 Peter 1, I was reading something amazing about our inheritance as Christians. Inheritance is an intensely personal and important concept to me.  It is because I realize that God is my inheritance.  In the Old Testament, the tribe of Levi was chosen to be the Priesthood, and as such they did not receive a portion of the promised land of their own--God Himself was to be their inheritance! I have always resonated with this because I know that this is true of me.  God is my inheritance, my cup, and my portion. There is no better inheritance than this.  

I receive this blessing not because I am a Levite, but because of Jesus, who has brought us "into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade"--1Pet.1:4  

This inheritance is imperishable.  It is of  infinite value.  My inheritance was bought for me, but "it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers, but with the precious blood of Christ."--1Pet.1:18-19.

I am going to paraphrase something my pastor once said, and I've done it before but it warrants repeating.  Do you know the true worth of your own soul?  Do you realize that it is worth more than the whole world? It is to Jesus Christ, and it should be to you. Perish the thought that says otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment