Friday, November 6, 2009

Blog-Ish

Today was a busy day. The kids were sick-ish and I was working on a quilt-ish, and at around 3:30 p.m. I knew it was time to come up with something for dinner. To my happy surprise I found a complete spaghetti-with-meat-sauce family dinner in the freezer, previously tupperwared by myself, leftovers from some recent oversized meal.

I am a master at defrosting--completely undaunted by the fact that underneath the meaty tomato sauce was a mass of frozen mixed noodles--spaghetti and fettuccine. I surmised the situation and simply ran a little warm water around the container, releasing the frozen block sauce down into my beloved heavy bottom 3 qt. saucepan, added an inch of water and put it on low heat.

This is boring, I know. But here's the thing: dinner was not. You see, leftover spaghetti is kind of a snore, especially for Friday night. But how bout some baked spaghetti? Oooohh, or better yet, baked spaghetti-ish! Yes, we had an -ish dish for dinner. I think you get it already, it's not exactly baked spaghetti, it's baked spaghetti-ish. You see, I actually don't even know a recipe for baked spaghetti, so, after heating the leftovers, I layered it in a baking dish with cheddar cheese and there you have it!

The -ish dish was born out of need. When you lack an ingredient(s), what else will do? I make -ish dishes all the time. Alfredo-ish, lasagna-ish, Double-Tree cookies-ish...you get it. The guys always want to know if it's an "ish" or the real thing. I don't see what that matters--it's all good. But the -ish is not limited to my cooking. No, recently I have taken up making quilt-ishes and I also now have a blog-ish. I also sing alto-ish, teach homeschool-ish, have a degree in English-ish, and play piano-ish. I paint-ish and dance-ish and every so often go on a date-ish with my husband, where we usually end up at Woodman's grocery store on our way home.

I have absolutely no idea how to quilt, or write a blog, for that matter. I guess for many things in life I just like to wing it. I'm not saying that's good or bad, just maybe my little bit of adventure in a life that is challenged mostly by monotony. Not that I mind that. Everyone's job has its hard parts, and its rewards. The rewards of mine are great.

Well, then there's also the part that I hate to read instructions --I inherited that. But yeah, welcome to my blog-ish, where you never know just how things might turn out.

No comments:

Post a Comment