Thursday, November 19, 2009

Uncle Chris and Ronald: part two

In the Bible there are what are known as types of Christ. For instance, Noah's ark was a type of Christ, in that, all in the world would perish unless they were found in that ark. Jacob had a vision of a ladder or staircase to heaven while he was in the desert which Jesus later described as Himself: "you shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man." John 1:51 There are many more of these but I just wanted to get the idea across of what a type is. Particularly a type of Christ.

It is an illustration of the One you can't quite see, to help you understand, or recognize Him when He comes. Also to know more about Him, His characteristics, in a larger and more beautiful way. The whole world is full of illustrations of the beauty of Christ. Here is another one Jesus gave, "unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds." John 12:24.

Here is my point, which you can probably already guess. Both my Uncle Chris and Ronald have been to me like examples of Christ in my life. I don't know why I chose to mention them together but here it is.

Both of these men have known some pretty bad things about me. Maybe Ron more than Chris, but let's not forget how I abandoned Chris--the one thing he ever asked me not to do. And yet, they have both loved me, unconditionally. They have both shown extreme patience, with me and others. When Ron was little he spent a lot of time in hospitals; Chris spent the end of his life in them. I don't know if this produced some of the strength of character I see in Ronald. I know it was a test for Chris; it was difficult. They are both men who have known something I don't; they have known about suffering. Jesus was "a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering" Isaiah 53:3.

There is much more to say about this. I will continue at another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment