Sunday, October 25, 2009

Army Mom

My oldest son is in the Army. This is a photo of him at the time of his commissioning, as he graduated from college. Those are not his children, they are his brothers. What is most crazy about this is that I have two kids, ages 24 & 23; and two, ages 7 & 3. Quite a gap. Same marriage.

Anyway, my big guy is currently in Afghanistan, having left his new bride this year, just a couple months after their wedding. I really couldn't be prouder of him even if he were the president of the United States. He is there because he wants to be. He wants to do that hard job, and feels called to do it. After I saw "Hotel Rwanda" I understood much better why he is doing this. Not that I was ever against it, it's just that I've have had my head in the sand most of my life and especially in matters of the military. Like, for instance, not growing up a Christian either, I didn't even know that Calvary and cavalry were different words, much less what either of them meant.

I wanted today's blog to be a funny one, but there really isn't anything funny about it. My son & I have a very close relationship, and fortunately, we can talk fairly often via instant message or even phonecalls. He is doing well so far. I have sent many packages and letters and learned that you can send stuff to soldiers just via the regular mail. You don't even need special stamps. Also, I have been forced to become much more serious in my prayer life which is always a good thing. I know that I have a real part to play in what is going on over there, and it is in lifting up our men and women before God, and asking my friends and family to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment